Nutrition and Feeding of Organic Pigs, 2nd Edition
- Nutrition and Feeding of Organic Pigs, 2nd Edition
- Blair; R.
- Animal & Veterinary Sciences
- Cabi Publishing
- Organic animal production has increased rapidly in recent years to keep up with the increasing consumer demand for organic meats. There are many guidelines and restrictions on what should go into the feedstuffs of organically farmed animals, from which difficulties arise when trying to ensure a well-balanced, nutritious diet without the use of any supplements.
This second edition of Robert Blair's classic and bestselling book on the nutrition and feeding of organic pigs presents comprehensive advice that includes:
- formulating appropriate diets and integrating them into organic pig production systems;
- international standards of organic feeding;
- feed-related disease incidence in organic herds.
The book has been completely updated and revised to address how to formulate organic diets in situations where there is a declining supply of organic feed, as well as the feasibility of utilizing novel feedstuffs and their acceptability by consumers of organic meat products. Including the experiences of producers in relation to appropriate breeds and production systems for forage-based organic production, this book is an important read for researchers and students of organic food animal production, veterinary sciences and food; as well as food industry personnel and organic farmers.
- E-ISBN: 9781780647913 ISBN: 9781780647906